Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Introduction: Marissa

I am sure, dear reader, that you realize adultification is not a word you have ever read before, and your search for the word in dictionary.com yielded no results. This is because I made it up. I dreamed it up some months ago as a possible title for something. In my mind, adultification is a process similar to adulteration, by which something pure is altered by the addition of another substance. A person begins life as an innocent child and becomes adultified by experiences both terrible and joyful, as a simple chicken stock becomes a hearty soup by the addition of other raw but wonderful ingredients.

At this point in my life, things have gotten pretty serious. Mainly, I'm not in school anymore and have to start living the life I only ever read about in books. I won't say this is the "real world" because I've always detested that phrase. The life of the mind is very real. My schooling was real; my dreams were real; everything that has happened to me up to this point is real. The only difference now is that I have more control. It is both intoxicating and overwhelming to have control over my own life. What should I do with myself? Sometimes I am confused by the various viable options and end up choosing nothing. But that's no good. I want to make awesome choices that will lead to an awesome life. So here's to 2011, a new year of potentially wonderful decision-making opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment